Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Random Thoughts: Chopsuey Over 30

Its so often that we look at the misfortune of others to realize how good our lives.  Why is it that we do not seem to feel "complete" with what we have and what we have been blessed with.  I always hear other people comment, " Ay kawawa naman siya. Buti na lang ako hindi ganon." I am guilty of uttering these words a few times.  Then I look back and I contemplate - why can't I just be content with what I have.  Why do I crave for more? Greed? Vanity? Do we always have to look at the negatives of others to see OUR positives?  In a world of superficial materialism how can we overcome these urges?

When I lost my father to cancer in 1997, I am sure a lot people pitied us.  My mom, my sister and of course my youngest brother.  Who at that time was only 9 years of age.  I am also sure that these people realized that we should not take anyone for granted.  I do not say the word anything --- since, most of the time the most important things are the ones we cannot see or touch.  And more often than not the people that we love are responsible for these intangible things.

Our drive for excellence may also drives us to be greedy at times.  It may seem that our only purpose in  life is to be better than our neighbor.  Better car, better house, better things, better wife (?), better kids and the list goes on.  Have you ever been genuinely happy for the success of one of your friends and not to wish them ill-will that one day it will all disappear.  One day you will have your time.  

Soon I will celebrate my 30th year of life.  And I can say that  have come to a point that I am truly thankful for my life and the people in it.  I am not a saint and say that there no times that I wonder if I took the opposite direction.  But the thought just dies --- it has no sense.  Why should I contemplate on something that I can never have. When the things that are most important to me are here, NOW.   I will not waste my time. I am 30 -- and I may live till I am a hundred or not.  I have learned to live in the now. Not tomorrow, and most especially not yesterday. Because now I am here - I can show the people that I love what I feel, I can laugh with my friends, I can kiss my Julia and tell her that I will do anything for her.

So, how about you? Will you waste your time looking at the misfortune of others to appreciate who you have?  Will you just let everyday pass only to realize that its too late?

Turning 30 has made me realize -- that this is already a lifetime.  And I am grateful.

So to 30 years, to life, to NOW, I say sante!  :)
These are the moments that I will never trade for ANYTHING.






    

No comments:

Post a Comment